Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Day 18 of My Exposure Therapy

Could barely sleep during the night. Was eagerly expecting my brother who stayed in England to land in Lagos for 5:30 am. I probably slept for about an hour.

We hired a cab who took us to the airposrt. We got there around 7am because the cab came late. Hugged my brother and tried changing some pound sterling to naira with the money changer but had to forgo when it dawned on us they were trying to dupe us.

My brother first came home to pee and from there set out for my hometown which is about 3 hours 30 minutes away if the road is free.

I noticed I was quite anxious initially and even had eye contact problems which I felt both ashamed and embarrassed about. I was however determined to fight it.

I sat at the back with him  throughout the journey so I could overcome my anxieties. This seemed to work as by the time we got to my hometown, I was quite relaxed.

We greeted our parents. My stepmum was busy preparing food for us but she was also around to welcome us.

I am from a polygamous home. My dad has three wives and my mum's the first. My father initially had no intention of being polygamous but his mistresses became pregnant for him, he chose to marry them rather than seek an abortion.

I noticed I was a bit relaxed but also noticed I was also hypervigilant which I think was residual effect of the bullying. Anyway, I'm sure I am making progress.

We left my hometown around 4pm and got to Lagos around 8:45.

Of course, I had to cancel my exposure therapies for the day. Anyway, the trip and trying to mingle freely with people partially compensated.

Tomorrow is my psychologist's apppointment. I have already informed him I'll be around. Will keep you guys posted. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment