Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Day 10 of My Exposure Therapy

First and foremost, sorry I forgot to post yesterday.

So today, I will be posting my activity for both yesterday and today.

We start with yesterday which is day 10, I went for the customary long walk down the very crowded street. It was quite memorable because early on in the walk, I met a local boy who is a friend of mine. In America, they'd say someone in the hood. He is about 10 years my junior and someone who has my back. He always comes to me for favours and I do extend a hand as often as I can.

Well, he decided to walk with me. I felt rather uncomfortable because of my tensed feelings when doing the walk, I like to walk at my own space and be in control. Now I was sacrificing some control and this just increased my nervousness.

It is in fact a good thing. People with social anxiety disorder or agoraphobia try earnestly to be seen as perfect. This is just impossible.

I chose to suffer the indignity of being imperfect. It was tough on me but I felt it was therapeutic. 

At the end of the street, he asked aint we going to drink something? I obliged and we went to a small drink joint. It was probably the first time I went drinking outside in my neighbourhood in about 3 years. I smiled within me. It was only the two of us in the joint apart from the sales girl.

We both drank two bottles, ate some fried meat and enjoyed the atmosphere. My friend asked if I wanted more and I said no. A extra bottle would have gotten me drunk!

I left him at the joint as I slowly, slowly found my way home. The walk back was more sedated as I was obviously under the influence of alcohol. Not much hassle.

When I got home, I decided there was no need to go to Shoprite and KFC. The joint was enough.

The time was around 7pm when I got home. By 8pm, I was asleep,. obviously influenced by the booze!

No comments:

Post a Comment